How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) For Weight Loss
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a cherished natural remedy, used by many as a preventative and curative measure. It also holds an important place in the dieting world – scientific studies, as well as practical experiences, show that apple cider vinegar (ACV) can help you lose weight.
Vinegar is one of those substances that target the problem holistically, and it provides you with long-term solutions. This article will help you understand how ACV works and how to use ACV as part of your daily diet to get the best results.
The most interesting study on how apple cider vinegar helps with weight loss was published in 2009. The Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry journal published a study finding that drinking 2 tbsp. vinegar for just three months caused significant decrease in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference, and triglycerides.
What Does ACV Do To Make You Lose Weight?
ACV taps into several physiological mechanisms that support healthy weight loss:
1. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) acts as an appetite suppressor
Apple cider vinegar makes you eat less by producing a feeling of satiety sooner. One research that proved that empirically was a 2005 study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Subjects who ate bread with vinegar felt significantly fuller than their counterparts who were fed only bread. The more acetic acid (the primary constituent of vinegar) the participants ingested, the fuller they were.
2. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) controls blood sugar levels
Apple cider vinegar prevents uncontrollable sugar spikes and crashes that make you want to nibble between meals. When your blood sugar is stable, it’s much easier to stick to your diet and eat only when your body needs it.
The previously mentioned study also measured blood sugar levels in the vinegar-fed and control group. Participants who were given ACV had significantly lower post-meal blood glucose levels (there was no spike that usually follows a meal high in carbohydrates). Furthermore, those who consumed a higher dose of vinegar, benefited from the effect even 90 minutes after eating. For more information, please read my article on how to use apple cider vinegar for diabetes.
3. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) prevents fat accumulation
Apple cider vinegar stimulates your metabolism and makes you burn fat faster. It contains a lot of organic acids and enzymes that speed up your metabolism and increase the rate at which body fat is burnt.
There aren’t many human studies that would support this explanation. A Japanese study published in 2009 was observing the effects of acetic acid on rats that were fed a diet high in fats. The scientist concluded that the consumption of acetic acid (which is found in ACV) suppressed fat accumulation. ACV can also help you to reduce cholesterol.
4. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has an impact on insulin secretion
Insulin affects fat storage. This hormone is closely linked to blood sugar levels and its secretion is disturbed in people suffering from type 2 diabetes. Scientists suggested that ACV might work in a similar way to some diabetic drugs and could have a potential in controlling diabetes. If you suffer from type 2 diabetes, make sure to consume these foods and these spices.
5. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) detoxifies the body
When our body gets rid of toxins, all the processes (including digestion and metabolism) become more efficient. ACV flushes the body and helps it use the nutrients from food in the best way possible. It is high in fiber that absorb toxins and improve bowel movement. You can find extremely detailed information on how to detox your body with ACV in my post on how to make ACV detox drinks.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) For Weight Loss
If you are not used to the taste and effects of apple cider vinegar, you might want to include it into your diet gradually.
- Start by adding 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and drink it once a day. Then, increase the amount of vinegar per serving, and the frequency of drinking.
- According to research on ACV and weight loss, you should consume a daily amount of 2 tablespoons of vinegar mixed with a cup of water.
- To kick start the metabolism and influence the feeling of fullness, it’s best to drink it about an hour before your meal. As an addition to your pre-meal serving, some also suggest drinking it first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
Apple cider vinegar is very acidic, so you need to dilute it to protect your teeth, throat and the lining of your stomach. Don’t drink undiluted ACV.
Buy raw, unprocessed, organic apple cider vinegar with the ‘mother of vinegar’ to enjoy the full health benefits. You can also easily make your own ACV at home.
How To Increase Your Consumption Of ACV
Using apple cider vinegar is one of the 70 habits featured in my e-book 70 Powerful Habits For A Great Health which will guide you how to take positive steps to improve your wellness and overall health. However some find the taste of vinegar difficult to stomach.
To improve the flavor, you can add a bit of honey to your vinegar serving (ACV and honey has 10 amazing health benefits) or, you can drink it with your tea. Wait for the tea to cool a bit before adding two tablespoons of ACV and drink.
You can also have vinegar with your meal. It goes very well with some soups or you can use it as a refreshing salad dressing.
Why Is ACV Better To Use Than Other Vinegars?
ACV is seen as a superior choice due to its all-encompassing health benefits. It cleanses the body and acts in an anti-microbial way. Not only does it help with weight loss, it also has a positive effect on some other conditions.
You can find more detailed information on how to improve your health with ACV in my articles about the 11 ways ACV can revolutionize tour health and in my popular article on how to use ACV for great health.
What To Expect When Taking ACV For Weight Loss?
ACV will not provide you with a quick weight loss. The changes will be gradual, but permanent. Don’t be impatient and allow it some time. Sometimes losing just one pound a month and not re-gaining it afterwards, can be the real success.
How fast you’ll lose weight depends on other factors as well, such as your exercise, nutrition, stress and genetic factors. For best and fastest effects, you need to combine this natural product with other techniques for losing weight, so the function of vinegar gets supported with lifestyle changes.
Here a few more articles that you may want to read to learn about effective weight loss tricks:
- 9 Secrets of losing weight without a diet
- Delicious honey and cinnamon weight loss drink
- 12 Simple Tweaks for Weight Loss and Great Health
How To Speed Up Your Weight Loss
There are ways to make your ACV regimen work faster.
One more thing that you can do is add coconut oil to your diet – I’ve already mentioned in another article how to use coconut oil to lose weight.
The following things will help you lose weight faster:
- Get moving! If you do some moderate exercise, five times a week, you’ll be helping your metabolism and increase your metabolic rate. If you don’t have time for anything else, at least walk for 20 to 40 minutes every day. For more information read my article on how much walking you need to lose weight.
- Eat foods rich in potassium. This mineral reduces your stress levels and lowers blood pressure. Good sources are bananas, sweet potatoes, avocados and spinach.
- Reduce your sugar intake, especially refined sugars.
I wrote other related articles about the health benefits of ACV and on how to lose weight:
1. How to Make ACV Detox Drinks
2. The Amazing Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
3. The Best Essential Oils for Weight Loss
You can find more information on how to naturally lose weight, and get rid of your belly in my e-Book Blast Your Belly Fat.