The Best Foods and Herbs to Cleanse Your Kidneys
The kidneys are major organs in your body and are responsible for clearing waste from your body, balance body fluids, form urine, and help in other important functions of the body. Every day the kidneys process the blood to sift out waste products and extra water. These become urine, which flows to the bladder through the ureters.
If not eliminated correctly, toxins can build up in the body and can cause problems such as kidney stones and high blood pressure. Cleansing your kidneys helps to eliminate toxins, improve urine flow and improve kidney function. Looking after your kidneys is also one of the 70 habits featured in my e-book 70 Powerful Habits For A Great Health which will guide you how to take positive steps to improve your wellness and overall health.
Important note – people with kidney disease or other medical condition may need special diet requirements and should follow their doctor or dietitian guidelines.
Foods to Cleanse Your Kidneys
The kidney can cleanse itself if you consume enough amount of fluids, which can come from foods such as fruits and vegetables as well as water and other liquids.
Water – staying hydrated and keeping your urine diluted is important for keeping your kidneys healthy. Water is the best choice, and drinking plenty of water throughout the day help your kidneys function properly. Staying hydrated is especially important if you exercise frequently or in a hot weather. In these cases you need to drink more water than usual to make up for the fluid lost by sweating.
It is important to note that if you have kidney disease, you may not need as much water, because damaged kidneys cannot get rid of extra fluid as well as they should. Depending on your stage of kidney disease and your treatment, your doctor may tell you to limit fluid consumption.
A balanced diet ensures you get all the minerals and vitamins your body needs. Fruits and vegetables improve your kidney function. If you suffer from kidney disease, you may have some nutritional restrictions that your doctor recommended. You may need to avoid certain foods if you have kidney damage, for example following low-potassium or low-phosphorous diet. If you are interested in healthy nutrition, get more information in my e-books featured in my Natural Health Revolution Program, a program that will help you to achieve your health, nutrition and weight loss goals.
Some good foods to eat for healthy kidneys include:
Watermelon – watermelon contains a lot of water and also has a function of diuretic which can make people produce more urine so as to remove more wastes from the body. Also read my article how to use watermelon as a medicine.
Lemon juice – you can add to your water half a cup lemon juice a day, as lemon juice helps to reduce kidney stone formation. You can also use apple cider vinegar instead of a lemon: simply mix 6 teaspoons or so in about a gallon of purified water and drink throughout the day.
Berries– berries are very rich in antioxidants and contain many disease fighting qualities. They help to flush out uric acid from the kidneys thus keeping them healthier. Cranberries and blueberries are the best choice among all the berries, as they contain a substance that washes away the urea and uric acid from the kidneys. Also red grapes are very good for the kidneys. To learn more about the amazing healing properties of cranberries and blueberries, as well as other berries, have a look at my e-book The Healing Berry Guide. This e-book will teach you how to transform your health with berries and is a must for berry lovers.
Apples – apples are high in antioxidants and fiber and have anti-inflammatory compounds which can improve kidney function.
Pumpkin seeds – pumpkin seeds are very good for the kidneys as they are wonderfully rich in a number of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Pumpkin seeds can promote healthy kidney function by reducing the risk of kidney stones. Find here how to use pumpkin as a remedy.
Herbs to Cleanse Your Kidneys
Here are some herbs that help cleanse the kidneys:
1. Ginger – ginger contains antioxidant compounds beneficial for kidney function. It also has cleansing properties and it purifies the blood and kidney of all toxins. Read more about ginger in my article how to use ginger as a medicine for great health.
2. Turmeric– turmeric is rich in antiseptic properties and is used to treat many ailments. It has anti-inflammatory properties so it can help prevent and treat kidney inflammation and kidney infections. Read more about the amazing health benefits of turmeric.
3. Dandelion – dandelion leaves are especially one of nature’s best diuretics. They strengthen the kidneys, clearing water retention and promotes urination, and thus soothe irritations in the urinary system. Fresh or dried, all parts of the plant can be brewed into a refreshing tea that has diuretic properties. If you suffer from urinary tract infection, read my article how to treat urinary tract infection naturally.
4. Nettle – another herb that is used to benefit the blood and treat urinary tract infections. It has diuretic effect and keeps water flowing through the kidneys and bladder, washing bacteria away. Its high iron content makes it a great blood builder as well. Steep fresh or dries nettles in hot water for 10-15 minutes for a detoxifying, diuretic tea.
5. Parsley – this is one of the best foods that helps flush kidneys of all the toxins and is also beneficial for treating kidney stones and urinary tract infection. You can either include this food in your salad or other dishes or prepare parsley tea.
6. Marshmallow root – the root of the marshmallow plant is also a diuretic and is good for the kidneys. It helps to treat urinary problems such as urinary tract infection, kidney stones and bladder infections. Marshmallow root is considered a safe herb although it is recommended to take it several hours after taking prescription medications as it may inhibit their absorption.
7. Juniper – Juniper berries improve kidney function. They are used for urinary tract infections and kidney and bladder stones. Juniper might also increase the need to urinate. Don’t take juniper berry if you have a kidney inflammation. Don’t use it continuously for more than 4 weeks, and don’t take juniper berry during pregnancy.
8. Yarrow – yarrow not only works as a diuretic, encouraging the kidneys to expel waste and water, but it has the added benefit of containing antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. While the diuretic action increases urine flow, the antiseptic action helps fight bacteria that can cause urinary tract infections.
9. Red clover – another diuretic herb that stimulates the removal of waste and water from the kidneys.
Herbal treatments are very versatile and effective. If you are interested in natural and herbal remedies, you can find more useful information in my e-book The Herbal Remedies Guide. This guide will teach you how to treat common ailments using herbs.
More Tips to Cleanse Your Kidneys
There are several methods of caring for your kidneys and reducing your risk of kidney disease that have been proven scientifically:
1. Smoking, alcohol and caffeine – avoid smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol and caffeine. Smoking and drinking too much alcohol means that your kidneys have to work harder to remove toxins from your blood.
2. Blood pressure – maintain normal blood pressure, blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels. High blood pressure can increase your risk of kidney problems. Read here how to reduce high blood pressure naturally.
3. Salt – salt is a mineral substance composed primarily of sodium chloride. Too much sodium can increase your blood pressure. This can damage your kidneys more and make your heart work harder. So limit how much sodium you eat.
4. Maintain a proper weight – excessive weight increases your blood pressure, which is bad for your kidneys.
The kidneys are one of the main systems and organs that your body uses to detoxify itself. If you are interested in cleansing your body, you can find more useful information in my e-book The Detox Guide. This guide will teach you how to use detox to cleanse and energize your body naturally and safely: