The Top 10 Herbs for Healthy Heart, Including Heart Tonic Recipe
The heart is the most important muscle in our body, so it makes sense that it functions at its best. It pumps blood throughout the blood vessels by repeated, rhythmic contractions. Cardiovascular disease (also called heart disease) is a class of diseases that involve the heart, the blood vessels or both, and is the leading cause of deaths worldwide.
This article will cover herbs for everyday use that support the heart. They can be taken as tonics to nourish, tone and strengthen the heart. You can use them in tea, capsule or tincture form. If you want to maintain a healthy heart, you may also want to read my article about how to reduce high blood pressure naturally.
The Top 10 Herbs for Healthy Heart:
1. Hawthorn – this is the most important cardiac tonic in Western herbal medicine. It can be used effectively for most heart conditions. It is non-toxic, and considers to be safe to use with heart medication.
2. Motherwort – used for all heart conditions caused by stress and anxiety. It is especially beneficial for rapid heartbeat.
3. Oats – this is a relaxing, tonic herb that is especially useful for high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, stress and anxiety.
4. Siberian Ginseng – an important herb for the heart, that has long been recognized as an effective remedy for high blood pressure and stress.
5. Valerian – relaxes and strengthen the heart. Used for high blood pressure and irregular / rapid heartbeat.
6. Yarrow – helps to lower blood pressure by dilating the peripheral blood vessels. It helps perspiration which helps to relieve pressure on the heart.
7. Cayenne – this is one of the most important circulatory tonics, that has a good tonic effect on the heart muscle.
8. Ginkgo – lowers blood pressure by dilating peripheral blood vessels, improves circulation and increases peripheral blood flow.
9. Garlic – reduces cholesterol and lowers blood pressure.
10. Passionflower – known for its nerving and relaxing properties. Helps to reduce high blood pressure and is helpful for rapid heartbeat.
Hawthorn Berry Tonic Recipe
Hawthorn is a great heart tonic, and this recipe will help you to incorporate it into your diet to maintain a healthy heart.
Dried seedless hawthorn berries
Ginger, grated or powdered
Place the hawthorn berries in a pan with just enough apple juice to cover them. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Cover and let sit overnight. Sweeten with honey, ginger and cinnamon to taste. Store in the refrigerator. Keeps for 2-3 weeks.
Herbal treatments are very versatile and effective. If you are interested in natural and herbal remedies, you can find more useful information in the Herbal Remedies Guide. This guide will teach you how to treat common ailments using herbs: