How To Make Onion Juice For Hair Growth & Strong Hair
Are you worried about a receding hairline or bald patches? Do you feel your hair is becoming thinner or grayer? When people notice their hair is changing, this can be a blow to their confidence. Our hair is often a part of our identity, so we might go to great lengths to preserve it.
This natural home remedy might not sound that appealing, but it has been a successful treatment for hair loss for decades. Onion and onion juice can help you re-grow your hair. Read on to find out how and why it works.
How Onion Helps in Hair Growth?
Onion is rich in sulfur. This mineral is one of the main building blocks of hair. It improves blood circulation and provides the hair follicles with sufficient nourishment. Onion also has anti-bacterial properties, so it helps with scalp infections that might contribute to hair loss.
Furthermore, it contains the enzyme catalase, which is an anti-oxidant that can prevent premature graying for some people (I also wrote an article about the top natural supplements for treating premature gray hair).
Onion for Hair Growth – The Research
Onion’s potential as a potent home remedy for hair loss has also been studied scientifically. In 2002, the Journal of Dermatology published a small study that looked into the use of onion juice for alopecia areata (an autoimmune disease that presents with patchy hair loss).
Participants who applied onion juice twice daily for two months experienced much better hair re-growth rates compared to those who only used tap water. In the study, hair regrowth was observed in 87% of patients treated with onion juice. Men had better success with the treatment than did women.
How to Make Onion Rinse for Hair Growth
Onion juice for hair growth
- Peel the onions and chop them into small pieces.
- Squeeze the juice out. To extract the juice, you can use a food processor, a blender, a grater or a juicer.
- Massage the juice into your scalp or cover the bald patches.
- Leave on for at least 15 minutes (longer if you can tolerate the smell) and then wash out using a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the onion juice treatment daily to encourage hair regrowth.
If you apply onion juice to your scalp for the first time, test it on a small area first to make sure your are not allergic to it.
Onion and honey mix for hair growth
- Mix ¼ cup of onion juice with 1 tablespoon of honey (if more mixture is required, double the amounts).
- Apply the onion juice and honey paste onto your scalp.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- You can also cover it with a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off.
This is a natural treatment, so you’ll have to be a bit patient to see the results. Use it daily (or minimum three times a week) and allow at least two months for your hair to start becoming stronger and shinier.
Onion Juice for Hair Growth – Frequently Asked Questions
How much time does it take to see results?
It takes a while before noticing results – as much as four to six weeks. According to the research about onion juice for hair growth, at four weeks, hair re-growth was seen in 74% of the participants and, at six weeks, the hair re-growth was observed in 87% of the participants.
Does the onion juice treatment really work?
According to the research, 87% of the participants had hair regrowth by using the onion juice twice daily on their scalp. Some of the readers of this article also left comments that it worked for them.
Does it matter what type of onion is used for the hair loss treatment?
There are various types of onions, and they are all vary slightly in flavor, texture, and color, but can usually be substituted for one another. I couldn’t find any reference that mentioned specifically a certain type of onion that is better for hair growth than any other type of onion.
After applying the onion juice I am feeling more hair loss – should I stop applying the juice?
I believe you’ve lost hair during massaging the scalp. I don’t believe you’ve lost the hair because of applying the onion juice. Too much massaging, unlike gentle massage, may cause hair loss. Massaging the scalp should boost up the blood circulation and aid hair growth. I can only believe that the hair you lost was about to fall out anyway soon. We also lose normally about 100 strands everyday, sometimes less, sometimes more. Follow the onion juice application with a gentle massage for a few weeks to see if you notice any improvement. If you don’t see any improvement, discontinue with the treatment.
Does onion juice work for dandruff?
I don’t know if onion juice works for dandruff. For dandruff have a look at my article: 6 Effective Ways to Treat Dandruff Naturally.
Can I store the onion juice in a refrigerator and apply it to the hair after some days?
I recommend to use fresh onion juice to encourage hair growth. Some of the nutrients in the onion juice that help with the hair regrowth can get damaged after a few hours so it’s best to use fresh juice.
I don’t like the smell of the onion juice – what can I do?
If you really don’t like the smell, try some of the other natural treatments for hair growth – have a look at the next sections in this article.
More Tips for Treating Hair Loss
– The honey and onion mixture can also be taken orally. Consume it daily, so you ingest the nutrients.
– Try adding onion to your food recipes. This will not act as fast as the hair rinse, but will provide additional dietary support.
Other Natural Methods for Treating Hair Loss
1. Castor oil can keep your hair healthy, shiny and strong as I mentioned in my article on how to use castor oil to improve and regrow your hair.
2. Rosemary can also help in treating hair loss and you can get more information on how to use it in my article on how to use rosemary for treating hair loss.
3. Peppermint was found to have noticeable hair growth effects according to a research. Get all the details in my article on how to use peppermint essential oil for hair growth.
4. According to a research garlic can help you to grow your hair – get the full instructions in my post on how to use garlic for hair growth.
5. Certain essential oils can work wonders on your hair and scalp as I mentioned in my article about the best essential oils for healthy hair.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) can also encourage hair growth – get all the information in my article on why you should wash your hair with ACV.
7. There are certain foods and nutrients that you must include in your diet in order to have healthy, shiny and strong hair – read about them in my article about the best foods and nutrients for healthy, strong and shiny hair.
Studies reveal: this natural ingredient can stop hair loss and regrow hair